Ingredients for the Turkey
1 12-16 lb. turkey
1 onion, peeled and quartered
3 cloves garlic
3 3-inch pieces of celery
1 lemon, quartered
2 sprigs rosemary
4-5 sage leaves
4-5 springs thyme
2 teaspoons salt
Ingredients for the Herbed Ghee Rub
¾ cup ghee
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
1 Tbsp fresh chopped thyme
1 teaspoon fresh chopped sage
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F.
2. Make sure the turkey is completely thawed. The rule of thumb is 24 hours of thawing for every 5 lbs. of turkey.
3. Let the turkey come to room temperature for about 30 minutes while the oven preheats.
4. Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey. Rinse the turkey well inside and out and pat dry with a paper towel.
5. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of salt into the cavity of the turkey. Add the onion quarters, garlic cloves, celery, lemon, sprigs of rosemary, thyme, and sage. Tie the legs together using kitchen twine and set the turkey on the roasting rack breast-side up.
6. Add the ghee to a small saucepan and heat over medium-low until softened. Add in the remaining ingredients for the Herbed Ghee Rub and stir well.
7. Use your hands to spread the mixture all over the turkey, making sure to get into the crevices and under the skin for extra flavor. Save about ¼ cup of the mixture and set aside.
8. Bake the turkey for 13-15 minutes per pound.
9. Halfway through the baking time, use a pastry brush to brush the remaining ghee herb mixture all over the turkey. You can reheat to soften if needed.
10. When the turkey has reached an internal temperature of 165° F (testing it with a meat thermometer in the innermost part of the thigh and thickest part of the breast), remove from the oven, cover with parchment paper, and let rest for 30 minutes before carving.
Inspired by Mary’s Whole Life